Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Gollum's Enlightenment!

video


I was watching The Two Towers again last night for the first time in a couple of years. This scene passed me by the last time, but this time I couldn't help but notice the comparison of Gollum's predictament with my own, a clearer seeing awareness drowning under a deluded ego. Gollum's struggle in this scene is great, as his original self, Smeagal, struggles against and decisively uproots his delusion, his rampant ego and declares himself to be free.

6 comments:

  1. In my experience gratifying the Ego is a short term gain. It usually costs you more in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite parts of the series. Thanks for the dharma take on it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, just a bit of fun really. Now, if he had have backed it up with a few hours on a zafu, he wouldn't have ended up getting his arse fried in lava, now would he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my experience, it does come back - though there is no "it" to come back . . . yes there is. Habit.
    Just my experience.
    Have you seen the book "Cinema Nirvana"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Granma, haven't seen it. What's it about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree - and write lots of poetry about this. The Wizard of Oz and LOTR are great metaphors for the struggle between ego and Soul, and so was the Bible until people took it literally......

    ReplyDelete