Thursday, 13 August 2009

Not a place to listen to a sutra!

I was on the loo earlier, listening to the thunder and the rain outside, when I heard a very faint, rythmic sound which sounded very like chanting to the beat of a mokyugo. Just a minute later the rain faded away and for sure I could hear someone chanting The Heart Sutra and hitting on a mukugyo.

Then it dawned on me that it's the Obon festival here in Japan when families remember their past relatives. Many families invite a monk to their house to chant in front of the butsudan, a Buddhist shrine dedicated to past relatives which most homes have here. So there I was, sitting on the toilet, listening to a Zen monk chanting The Heart Sutra. I just thought I'd share that with you...........

2 comments:

  1. This is the Zen spirit! I love it:)
    Gassho from a fellow practitioner,
    I am happy to join your sweet blog. I invite you to visit and join mine, too, if you get a moment.
    ~Donna
    http://donna-quixote.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,
    Thanks for popping by. I'll come for a visit for sure.

    ReplyDelete