Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Got a job at a Zen university.

There's a Sotoshu university not too far from my house, just on the outskirts of Nagoya, and I've been lucky enough to secure a class there. I'll be teaching every Friday morning and then I'll be free for the rest of the day, which means I can make use of the zendo. If you follow the above link you'll see that there's in Institute of Zen Studies at the university. So far I've not met anyone involved directly in the Zen faculty, but I have asked the woman who is in the zendo office if I can use it and she said I can, and that I just need to get the key from her.

On another note, I've found out about a satellite temple of Eiheiji in Nagoya, about an hour from my house in Nagoya, less if I take the train. It's called Eiheiji Nagoya Betsuin (永平寺名古屋別院) and there are zazenkai every second and fourth Saturday of each month. I'll be joining the next one. 

Apparently they have a jukai ceremony every year, but I've also heard that it costs as much as $300 to participate. Certainly, between the university and this temple, I should be able to finally find a teacher and, I hope, gain some of the motivation I've been lacking this last while.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, congratulations! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, congratulations. I hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the congrats. I'll be going to the Nagoya temple tomorrow for the zazenkai, so I'll post a report and maybe a photo or two if i can manage to take any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went all the way there and there was no zazenkai today. A young monk told me that it is a holiday and the next zazenkai is on the 22nd of this month, so I can go to that one.

    It's a big temple right in the middle of Nagoya. I could see a kitchen building and several monks were working about the place. As soon as I poked my head into the small, ancient reception and a young monk came out to speak to me I could get a sense of Eiheiji's ways from the place. I'm looking forward to going there again.

    ReplyDelete